Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- European flat product prices reach new peaks20.04.2021European hot rolled coil and sheet values reached new heights, during early April. Further increases are already being pushed through and quotations from regional suppliers now have extremely short validity.
- 06.04.2021The shortage of stainless steel coil and sheet in Europe has renewed market discussion surrounding the European Commission’s (EC’s) safeguard quotas.
- 01.04.2021In Poland, demand for steel sheet and coil remains strong. Material shortages and extended mill delivery times continue to be a challenge for buyers.
- 31.03.2021US coil prices continued their upward climb, in recent weeks. Hot rolled coil basis values have surpassed the US$1300 per short ton mark and are set to increase further.
- 30.03.2021Global stainless steel prices continued to strengthen in early March, most notably for 300 series coil and sheet. The upward trend is supported by healthy demand, severe material shortages, and extended delivery lead times for replacement tonnages.
- 25.03.2021The global steel sector was in a state of reflection, in the first half of February. Supply chain participants were looking to the Chinese market and developments in the post-Lunar New Year holidays for direction.
- 25.03.2021Northern European flat product prices continued to rise, throughout March, amid tight supply. This is preventing customers from building inventory. Value-added coil and sheet are particularly difficult to source.
- 22.03.2021Tight supply is expected to propel sheet and coil prices, in Europe, to all-time high figures, in the near term. The recovery in the Chinese steel market, following the Lunar New Year holidays, was stronger than anticipated.
- 19.03.2021European hot rolled coil prices are approaching record high levels, in both the north and the south of the continent. The MEPS regional average transaction value, for March, stands at €753 per tonne.
- 04.03.2021Uncertainty currently surrounds European stainless steel alloy surcharges. Many buyers are questioning if the method of calculation used by the mills has changed.
- 03.03.2021The past twelve months was a turbulent time for all those involved in the US stainless steel market. In a dramatic turnaround, the unprecedented pandemic-induced slump in steel requirements was superseded by strong demand, stock shortages and soaring
- 02.03.2021Global crude stainless steel production decreased to approximately 50.7 million tonnes in 2020 – down almost 3 percent, year-on-year. This reduction is lower than initially expected at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic.