Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Shortages continue to drive up EU stainless steel prices02.06.2021Limited availability continues to propel European stainless steel prices on an upward trajectory. The MEPS published European average transaction value, for 304 cold rolled coil, increased by approximately €140 per tonne, in May.
- All-time high forecast for global crude stainless steel production in 202128.05.2021After the production slump recorded last year, global crude stainless steel output is predicted to rebound strongly, to 55 million tonnes, in 2021. This is an increase of more than 8 percent from the figure recorded in 2020.
- EU long product prices surge as financial problems grow20.05.2021Prices for European long products gradually started to rise, in late April. The increases accelerated during the first half of May. This trend is set to continue until the summer.
- South African market reels from steel shortages04.05.2021South Africa has not been spared the global trend of steel shortages created by the coronavirus pandemic. Over the past year, supply chain interruptions were compounded by the quick and necessary national lockdown restrictions.
- Reduced global steel trade fuels upward price momentum26.04.2021Traditional global steel trade patterns were severely disrupted over the past twelve months. The Covid-19 pandemic reduced demand and production in most nations.
- Demand for structural steel set to rebound22.04.2021European long product transaction values have remained relatively stable, following the initial recovery at the start of this year. The market is, however, closely linked to Turkish scrap imports and fluctuations in the price for this commodity.
- European flat product prices reach new peaks20.04.2021European hot rolled coil and sheet values reached new heights, during early April. Further increases are already being pushed through and quotations from regional suppliers now have extremely short validity.
- Import scarcity intensifies EU stainless steel shortage06.04.2021The shortage of stainless steel coil and sheet in Europe has renewed market discussion surrounding the European Commission’s (EC’s) safeguard quotas.