Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- South African market reels from steel shortages04.05.2021South Africa has not been spared the global trend of steel shortages created by the coronavirus pandemic. Over the past year, supply chain interruptions were compounded by the quick and necessary national lockdown restrictions.
- 30.04.2021US coil prices continue their rapid ascent, after earlier indications that they were losing upward momentum. Domestic hot rolled coil prices now exceed US$1400 per short ton.
- 29.04.2021The pandemic-induced imbalance between supply and demand, for stainless steel flat products, in the United States, will intensify over the next few months.
- 26.04.2021Traditional global steel trade patterns were severely disrupted over the past twelve months. The Covid-19 pandemic reduced demand and production in most nations.
- 22.04.2021European long product transaction values have remained relatively stable, following the initial recovery at the start of this year. The market is, however, closely linked to Turkish scrap imports and fluctuations in the price for this commodity.
- 20.04.2021European hot rolled coil and sheet values reached new heights, during early April. Further increases are already being pushed through and quotations from regional suppliers now have extremely short validity.
- 06.04.2021The shortage of stainless steel coil and sheet in Europe has renewed market discussion surrounding the European Commission’s (EC’s) safeguard quotas.
- 01.04.2021In Poland, demand for steel sheet and coil remains strong. Material shortages and extended mill delivery times continue to be a challenge for buyers.
- 31.03.2021US coil prices continued their upward climb, in recent weeks. Hot rolled coil basis values have surpassed the US$1300 per short ton mark and are set to increase further.
- 30.03.2021Global stainless steel prices continued to strengthen in early March, most notably for 300 series coil and sheet. The upward trend is supported by healthy demand, severe material shortages, and extended delivery lead times for replacement tonnages.
- 25.03.2021The global steel sector was in a state of reflection, in the first half of February. Supply chain participants were looking to the Chinese market and developments in the post-Lunar New Year holidays for direction.
- 25.03.2021Northern European flat product prices continued to rise, throughout March, amid tight supply. This is preventing customers from building inventory. Value-added coil and sheet are particularly difficult to source.