Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Demand in Poland dictated by coronavirus second wave26.11.2020The economic recovery in Poland continues to stutter. The IHS Markit Poland Manufacturing PMI remained unchanged for October, indicating that growth is lacking momentum.
- 24.11.2020Stark contrasts are currently being witnessed between the markets for steel plate and coil. While the former is grappling with weak consumption and overcapacity, the latter is flourishing amid brisk demand and tight supply.
- 23.11.2020European coil prices continued their meteoric rise, in November. The MEPS Europe Average Hot Rolled Coil transaction value has climbed by more than 25 percent since June of this year.
- 20.11.2020The recent acknowledgment by Sweden’s SSAB that it is in advanced discussions with Tata, concerning a possible takeover of part of the latter’s European division
- 05.11.2020Many nations witnessed an unprecedented drop in steel demand, in the second quarter of 2020, at the height of the first wave of coronavirus infections. During this time, several individual country PMI readings fell to the lowest levels ever recorded.
- 28.10.2020The world steel industry has been savaged by coronavirus-related economic restrictions, rising raw material costs and weakening steel prices, during 2020. Mills in all regions recorded disastrous financial results.
- 27.10.2020“Overcooked”, “excessive”, “too hot” are just a handful of phrases uttered by coil buyers to describe the current market. It is no surprise that steel prices have surged since the summer.
- 26.10.2020In Sweden, wire producers report a modest reduction in demand, this year. Activity in the automotive sector is now showing signs of recovery but price increases for wire rod, in October, were tempered by competition between suppliers.
- 26.10.2020A gradual recovery in consumption is reported, in Denmark, supporting a modest price increase for hot rolled coil, in October.
- 23.10.2020Many EU-based customers are reluctant to commit to orders with UK bar producers, due to concerns about the end of the Brexit transition period and its potential impact on trade legislation.
- 23.10.2020Hot rolled coil prices increased during October in northern Europe, but French coil buyers are divided about the prospects for further increases.
- 22.10.2020Italian hot rolled coil domestic basis prices increased in mid/late September before stabilising in the early part of October, as procurement activity softened.