Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- European Commission proposes alterations to steel safeguard measures02.06.2020Following the conclusion of the second review period, the European Commission has notified the World Trade Organisation of its proposed amendments to existing steel safeguard measures.
- 02.06.2020The onset of the Covid-19 pandemic brought many car factories, around the world, to a complete standstill.
- 29.05.2020In the United States, buyers of stainless steel are purchasing minimal quantities, at present. Companies are reluctant to commit to new forward orders because of the uncertain economic environment caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 29.05.2020Stainless steel purchasing activity remained at a fairly high level during the first quarter of 2020, as customers continued work on ongoing projects, or took delivery of material from existing contracts.
- 28.05.2020MEPS recorded a decrease in the price of steel products across the board in Poland, this month. Nonetheless, discounts from the mills did little to prompt an uptick in buying activity.
- 27.05.2020In Brazil, prices of coil and plate are relatively steady, amid reduced purchasing from distributors and depressed end-user consumption.
- 26.05.2020US steel producers increased their list prices, in the past few days. This follows an initial announcement, in late April/early May, when domestic mills attempted to draw a line in the sand to halt the recent freefall in steel selling values.
- 26.05.2020World crude steel production is estimated to fallen by 13.0 percent, year-on-year, to 131.1 million tonnes in April, according to a recent release by the World Steel Association (worldsteel).
- 22.05.2020Spanish society is slowly adapting to the relaxation of some anti-coronavirus measures. Many steel distributors are back at work, selling mainly to industrial clients rather than the auto sector.
- 21.05.2020Long steel product mills, in Spain and Italy, have resumed operations but demand, in their home markets, is poor. Consequently, as they seek new markets, selling values are expected to fall, in northern Europe.
- 20.05.2020Purchasing activity remained at a high level, in northern Europe, into April. However, a decline has been observed, in recent weeks.
- 20.05.2020In the UK, demand is weak, compared with previous expectations, but increased activity was noticeable, in recent weeks. Several service centres continued to operate, throughout the lockdown period, with reduced staff.