Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- 20.11.2020The recent acknowledgment by Sweden’s SSAB that it is in advanced discussions with Tata, concerning a possible takeover of part of the latter’s European division
- 05.11.2020Many nations witnessed an unprecedented drop in steel demand, in the second quarter of 2020, at the height of the first wave of coronavirus infections. During this time, several individual country PMI readings fell to the lowest levels ever recorded.
- 28.10.2020The world steel industry has been savaged by coronavirus-related economic restrictions, rising raw material costs and weakening steel prices, during 2020. Mills in all regions recorded disastrous financial results.
- 27.10.2020“Overcooked”, “excessive”, “too hot” are just a handful of phrases uttered by coil buyers to describe the current market. It is no surprise that steel prices have surged since the summer.
- 26.10.2020In Sweden, wire producers report a modest reduction in demand, this year. Activity in the automotive sector is now showing signs of recovery but price increases for wire rod, in October, were tempered by competition between suppliers.
- 26.10.2020A gradual recovery in consumption is reported, in Denmark, supporting a modest price increase for hot rolled coil, in October.
- 23.10.2020Many EU-based customers are reluctant to commit to orders with UK bar producers, due to concerns about the end of the Brexit transition period and its potential impact on trade legislation.
- 23.10.2020Hot rolled coil prices increased during October in northern Europe, but French coil buyers are divided about the prospects for further increases.
- 22.10.2020Italian hot rolled coil domestic basis prices increased in mid/late September before stabilising in the early part of October, as procurement activity softened.
- 21.10.2020Reports of medium to strong steel demand persisted throughout October in Poland, with exceptionally buoyant activity for hot dipped galvanised coil.
- 21.10.2020The resurgence in Covid cases across Europe is a growing concern for steel buyers. Market participants are either delaying their purchases or increasing them, depending on their outlook and sentiment.