Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- 01.09.2020Polish steel demand is improving, following the coronavirus-related slowdown witnessed during the second quarter of this year.
- 01.09.2020US steel buyers resisted recent mill price increases, during most of August. Flat product basis values bottomed out in the middle of the month.
- 28.08.2020Stainless steel markets are cautiously optimistic regarding demand in the remainder of 2020. A steady, month-on-month, increase in activity has been witnessed, following the easing of lockdown restrictions, in many countries.
- 28.08.2020In the Netherlands, variety in pricing for long products is identified, especially for medium sections and beams.
- 27.08.2020In late July, major European flat product mills announced significant price rises, in an attempt to recover increased raw material input costs. Steel supply is tightening.
- 26.08.2020Rebar transaction values increased by approximately €10 per tonne in southern Europe in August, with the UK experiencing a similar move, as prices rose moderately.
- 26.08.2020Western European hot rolled coil prices increased in August, supported by high raw material costs and uncompetitive import offers. Trading activity is slow, as is traditional during the summer holiday period.
- 25.08.2020Steel buyers are returning from their summer holidays and questioning where steel prices are heading next.
- 06.08.2020Steel market fundamentals weakened considerably in the first half of 2020, due to the spread of the coronavirus. A severe slump in steel demand was observed, as lockdown and containment measures were introduced, worldwide.
- 30.07.2020Global crude stainless steel production is predicted to reach an annual total of 47.2 million tonnes, in 2020. Following four consecutive years of growth, this would represent a decrease of almost 10 percent, compared with the year earlier figure.
- 29.07.2020Prices for steel coil appear to have reached the bottom of the current cycle, in Poland and the Czech Republic, following the substantial downturn witnessed in the second quarter. Steel mills are proposing hikes, but many buyers are sceptical about the pr