Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- 12.05.2020Early indications suggested that 2020 would be a year of modest economic recovery. Activity had been trending downwards since the zenith reached in the spring of 2018.
- 04.05.2020Stainless steel service centres and distributors, in many parts of Europe, reported relatively strong sales during the first three months of 2020.
- 01.05.2020Steel demand in Poland and the Czech Republic is currently showing resilience, despite the existing coronavirus pandemic restrictions.
- 30.04.2020Worldwide crude stainless steel production, in 2019, reached an all-time high total of more than 52.2 million tonnes.
- 29.04.2020US flat product steel prices are on the decline. Although the US steel sector has been regarded as an “essential industry” during the coronavirus pandemic, demand has deteriorated during the past few weeks.
- 28.04.2020Steel trading is temporarily suspended in India and South Africa, due to government measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
- 27.04.2020The price of oil has plummeted in recent months. This is creating concern, among market participants, that a crash in steel prices similar to the one recorded in 2015 could develop.
- 22.04.2020German steel demand slowed, in late March, as a result of the spread of Covid-19, although much of industry remains open.
- 21.04.2020Northern European distributors and service centres reported strong sales. Many customers are believed to have ordered more material than usual, in order to ensure supply.
- 20.04.2020The UK government announced the extension of lockdown restrictions, for at least another three weeks, on April 16.
- 17.04.2020European strip mill product steel prices were largely unchanged, in late March/early April, despite the major impact of the coronavirus outbreak on the steel sector and the worldwide economy.