Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- 27.07.2020Many US steel businesses are struggling to survive in the current climate. Weak demand and low prices are damaging resale margins and the financial health of the steel market. A number of companies will, inevitably, close permanently, as a result of the f
- 24.07.2020Strip mill product prices appear to have reached their low point, in Germany. Steel producers carried out large capacity cuts in recent months, due to the Covid-19 crisis, and distributors’ sales are increasing, albeit slowly.
- 23.07.2020Modest coil price increases were recorded in southern Europe, this month, due to a lack of attractive import quotations and the impact of the revised EC safeguard quotas. Steel market participants are hopeful that the €750 billion Covid-19 recovery packag
- 22.07.2020Northern European mills’ selling values for strip mill products reached a low point, in late June. Regional producers proposed price increases of €20/30 per tonne, or equivalent, for new business.
- 21.07.2020The UK beam market remains depressed, and supply is outweighing demand. Low-priced offers from UK and Spanish-based producers are exerting negative pressure across Western Europe. Buyers, observing the downward trend, are reluctant to purchase material.
- 20.07.2020Flat products basis values continued to edge downwards across Europe in late June. Nevertheless, EU mills are keen to implement price rises, citing growing raw material costs and low profit margins.
- 13.07.2020Imports of steel products have been subject to European Commission safeguard measures, since their introduction in 2018. During the July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 period, stainless hot rolled flat products, largely, had unused volumes available.
- 02.07.2020European stainless steel prices continued to fall, despite rises in regional mills’ published alloy surcharges, in June. The majority of distributors and stockists now negotiate deals with the stainless steel producers using an ‘effective price’, rather
- 01.07.2020Hopes of a quick recovery, in the European stainless steel market, have faded. Demand remains a concern, even in those countries where successful efforts have been made to control the virus.
- 30.06.2020The recovery in US steel prices, that commenced in early May, came to a halt in recent weeks. Coil basis values struggled to reach the levels desired by the mills, as buyers remained cautious in their purchasing activity.
- 30.06.2020Global crude steel output is estimated at 148.8 million tonnes in May. This represents a decrease of 8.7 percent, year-on-year. The reduction was not as dramatic as the 13.4 percent recorded in April, at the peak of the Covid-19 lockdown measures.